A School Visit and Some Recommended Reading
Today I spent a wonderful morning with the students at St John’s Primary School in Auburn, NSW. It was part of the Books in Homes program and the sponsor for this school is the very generous University of Western Sydney. All the kids received books and I got to chat with them about reading and writing. The kids and staff were really great – it’s such a beautiful school!
As part of this program I’ll also be visiting Wiley Park Primary School on the 3rd of April, which I’m very much looking forward to.
One of the students I met today loves reading historic fiction, particularly stuff set during war time, so I thought I would compile a list of some great historic books for kids set during war.
The following are about kids evacuated from London during WW2:
- Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian
- The Children of the King by Sonya Hartnett (just released)
The following are about kids caught up in war:
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
- Little Brother by Alan Baille
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- I am David by Anne Holm
- The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier
- The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall
I know that Jackie French has written a number of war stories, including A Waltz for Matilda. There are countless more I’m sure, those these are the ones I have encountered over the years and really enjoyed. I hope you enjoy them too!